Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Salton sea, pictured above, forms the eastern boundary of Salton city.  Many bird species have been observed here.  This photo was taken from the parking lot of the old yacht club.  I noticed that if you are along the shoreline with the wind blowing off the sea towards you, you can smell a strong odor similar to a rotten egg smell, but if you are beyond the shoreline such as on a jetty there is no smell which leads me to believe the water itself does not create the odor.  I hope somehow the sea can be restored not because I own a home here but for the serious air quality issues we will have if it is allowed to dry up.
 This is another view of the shoreline of the Salton sea taken from the same location looking to the north.  The picture above this one was taken looking to the south.
This photo, looking west, shows what remains of the paved parking lot of the former yacht club with the Santa Rosa mountains off in the distance.  I visited this place when the structures were still here back in the 80's.  It consisted of a two story motel, a circular restaurant/yacht club of approximately 14000 square feet, a large swimming pool and dock facilities for boats.  There were two back to back century storms which flooded the facility in the 70's and thus led to its demise.  The photo above this one shows the remains of some of those docks.
 
 
Personally, I love the Salton sea and the city very much from the vistas, though maybe hard to imagine, clean air and the weather.  We have some incredible thunderstorms that are fascinating to watch, mainly in the summer when its monsoon season.  I think they are more enjoyable then a fireworks show.  This is why I think the area should be restored and I'm spending the time to write this blog.
 
 



No comments: