Monday, June 17, 2013

I was again visiting my home in Salton City for the weekend of June 14 to 16th.  It was hot averaging about 104 degrees at the high.  The sky was clear but I saw on the TV a news program that states the 15th of June starts the official Monsoon season of 2013.  I have experienced Thunderstorms here before and they can be incredible.  I hope this year could provide great lightning.

I see that in April a stakeholders symposium on potential fixes for the Salton sea was held..  In fact you can see the meeting itself on you tube.  It is however almost three hours in length.  There appears to be a growing political interest in doing something positive with the Salton sea.  I think it would be worth it to fix it up.  Salton city would benefit.  I don't mind seeing Salton city grow and it will certainly grow if the sea is cleaned up.  I just hope it doesn't turn into an Orange county or any other large coastal California city.

Me and many of my neighbors enjoy the place how it currently is, but we would like to see more shopping and dining choices.  It definitely needs more close by medical facilities.  The closest one is about a 45 minute drive to JFK hospital.

There is an abundance of low cost commercial properties available here and I would like to see industry eventually move in.  In fact, this subject was specifically mentioned at the symposium.  It appears they would be willing to give industry moving in some type of deal though specifics were not made clear.

Well anyway, I have some new sights to show you I took this last weekend while visiting my little paradise.  The first is an area known as the Riviera Keys.  A housing development practically on the sea itself.  Channels dug out to provide homes put up there their own docks.  It seems that at one time, aspirations for elegance were conceived.
 
 
This is one of the signs indicating entrance to the keys.  Each side of the entering street has this.  And now some views of the channels and homes that were built there:



 
As you can see in the last photo the water level has dropped at least ten feet leaving the boat dock of a Riviera key home high and dry.  The Salton sea clearly is drying up and if permitted to do so would destroy the air quality in southern California and most of Arizona.  I heard reports that the odor from the sea reaches the Phoenix area.  In other words the cost of a dry Salton sea would cost more to deal with then the fixing of the current sea.
 
To be continued soon, hopefully tomorrow. 

No comments: