Monday, May 27, 2013

 
Salton city has some spectacular sunrises as seen above.  I can't help when I'm there to wake up early just to see it.  The photos above were taken about 20 minutes apart from my driveway starting at about 5:30 am.  The sounds of birds and other critters can be heard at this time.
 
 
 

This is a photo taken a little later that same morning looking north on the street where my home is located.  The sky was mostly clear and it wasn't hot for a late May (Memorial day) morning.  As you can see, there are no direct neighbors but I know all of them within the radius of my home.
 This  is the view I get from my backyard  patio in the morning when I desire to have breakfast there.  The hills you see in the background are the Santa Rosa mountains.  If you travel north beyond those hills you end up in the Coachella Valley  where Palm Springs CA is located.  I have never run into any kind of road congestion driving to the Coachella Valley even on weekdays.  As far as I know there is no period considered rush hour traffic.
From Salton City the main drag to the Coachella valley is California highway 86.  It's a two lane per side divided highway also known as the NAFTA highway.  It can take anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes from Salton city to the Coachella valley depending on speed and truck traffic.  A lot of trucks do take this highway!
 
This is an evening shot taken from the roof of my home with the Salton Sea in the background.  The home beyond the roof in the foreground was never completed and appears to have been abandoned by the builders before a driveway was placed.  The interior was dry walled but no kitchen cabinets or plumbing fixtures were ever installed.  Some of my neighbors who lived here through the construction boom told me that interest in purchasing new homes in the area began to fall off sharply in late 2007.  Those involved in constructing new homes began to see that and started abandoning projects all over town as can be seen in the following photos:
Many neighborhoods were constructed and after the variable rate loans began to adjust upward, many of the homes that were bought new began to be foreclosed upon creating a double whammy for the local housing market.  I've heard that this possibly helped in more ways then one because some bad elements started forming in Salton city between 2004 and 2009.  Since the foreclosures occurred they were booted out and people like myself began to buy homes there at heavily discounted bank REO prices.  My realtor told me that as more people who enjoy the area buy homes, there was a good chance the neighborhood would turn for the better, which as far as I know  appears to be happening.

No comments: